Moving forward

Each year I take two weeks off from teaching for Christmas and New Years. The first week is hectic as we prepare for and celebrate Christmas. It's not just at home. I'm fairly active in my church so I have some obligations there too.

As I wander into the second week of my time off I get to relax some. Read, play music, nap...all of the essentials. I might even be able to spend time with my wife. Historically a rare treat.

It's also a time to reflect. I don't make resolutions any more. I haven't for years. But I do take time to think about the past and the future. One of the things I realized long ago was that I need to have a future. Yeah, I know death can disrupt that somewhat. But as long as I'm living I need to keep moving forward.

A cousin suggested recently that I should retire. Nope! I'm not ready for that yet, but I am slowing down. I don't have the physical stamina or mental strength to go at the pace I did just a few years ago.  I'm not capable of just stopping either. Perhaps it's professional inertia.

I also realize that there are new professional challenges. So I look forward to meeting them head on. But mostly I just look forward.

Professionally I think the one thing I detest the most is "business-as-usual".  I'm always looking for ways to improve my teaching. These past few years I've introduced online video lessons into my business. Although used mostly for make-up lessons, I have a few remote students that I see weekly online only. This year I began making supplemental lesson videos for my students. Then I email a link so they can access them at their convenience. I've made quite a few and have many more to do. These have proven to work well.

I've got a couple of other ideas that I will look at this coming year. I'm not sure if they will pan out. That's the thing about ideas. I usually don't know if they are good ideas until I try to use them. But I have to keep moving forward...to be engaged.

Whatever your plans are for the coming year I hope your new year brings you peace and prosperity.