Anniversary issue

It's been a little over two years since I started this blog. I noted then that I didn't know how it would evolve over time. I had a lot of ideas about art education, funding, presentation, etc so I had a starting place, but it was a borderline rant so I wanted to be cautious. It turns out I didn't have that many ideas after all. So I spent the first couple months picking the low hanging fruit. After that the real work of writing a blog began.

Today is my 200th entry. When I began I had a vague idea about how to do this and a couple of specific ideas about what I didn't want.  I subscribe to one blog and regularly visit several others. They come in all shapes and sizes. Some resemble ever changing websites with articles, photos, and videos. The one I subscribe to is a music industry specialty. But the guy who writes it is sporadic. Nothing for a week or two and then suddenly three in a day. Some are several pages long and others are a couple of paragraphs. He's worth it, but it makes me crazy.

I put myself on a schedule. I publish on Mondays and Thursdays. If I had been strict with that schedule I would have published no. 200 a month ago. For those who are keeping score, I missed a couple here and there due to illness. But two a week is the goal. And that is totally arbitrary. There was no research done. It just sounded good at the time. I also didn't want the entries to be too long. Most of my readers have stuff to do and don't have the time to read some lengthy tome.

I was advised to keep them funny. But I write and publish as one activity and who feels funny on any early Monday morning? And I'm not really that funny anyway. I'm more of a smart alec with a snide retort or rude observation.

But I have learned a few things along the way. Top of the list: I can't be productive trying to be someone I'm not. As I said, I'm not really that funny. But I'm also NOT living in New York or L.A. My art world is way different. So this has become more of a celebration of local artists. Some are friends of mine. Not much different than the artists that live and work in towns all around the world.

In the future I hope to be able to add additional links for your enjoyment. Perhaps some recorded interviews. I'm not really sure. But the evolution of this blog continues.

I want to take a moment to thank my readers. As blogs go, there aren't many of you, but I'll take quality over quantity every time.  I've had readers from nearly every corner of the world except sub-Saharan Africa and Antartica. I know your time is valuable and I really do appreciate you spending a bit of it with me.  Please leave a comment when you are moved to. "Like" and share the blog if you feel it's appropriate. But above all, don't be a stranger.