Different musicians

I haven't played a New Years Eve gig in years. A classical guitarist is not usually the first thing folks think of when planning a boisterous party like that. But that doesn't mean that I'm not busy during this time. I am also a church musician and Christmas is a pretty busy time. But it goes a bit beyond that too. Our organist was out of town for New Years so I played all of the music for that service as well.

It has caused me to think about the various rolls a musician plays in society. Many of my friends are entertainers and are hired to perform at parties, dances, public festivals, etc. This is how we often picture the profession. Whether at a local bar or arena. Loud music, flashing lights, and some strutting. I used to think that this was the pinnacle of a musicians career. That this was what the other musicians aspired to. I was wrong. Although I was very deep into my own career before I realized it.

There are also the artists. Classical, Jazz, or Folk who give concerts and not only entertain but educate us as well. We sit and listen and become immersed in the moment. These musicians are the only reason we attend. We're not there for a party. 

I am primarily a ceremony musician. I play services at my church, many weddings, and the occasional funeral, wake, open house, etc. There are times when I feel like a centerpiece on a dining table. A nice addition but not really necessary. Things will happen with or without me. It's no place for someone who craves attention. I seem to thrive in this environment.

Nearly all musicians will take time to teach. Some more than others. I've taught more than performed and consider myself a teacher first and performer second. As I stumble into the new year I look forward to continuing to do the same. I'm not only comfortable with this mantle, I wear it proudly.

Some claim "a new year - a new me". But I simply think "another year of me doing the same old thing" and I'm grateful for it.