Ian's email

I received an email from a former student over the holiday break. His name is Ian Tuski and he is one of those I can easily point to as a success story. Still in his twenties, he is completing his doctorate in guitar at the University of Texas in Austin. The danger here is the temptation to talk as though I were the primary reason for his success. I'm not. I helped at the beginning stages and I'm sure some would say, "But if it wasn't for you....."  But after leaving my studio, Ian went on to study with many fine teachers. More importantly, his success to date is due largely to his own hard work and sacrifice. And that ethic is due to his parents influence, not mine.

Ian is currently working with an organization called Austin Classical Guitar https://www.austinclassicalguitar.org/acg_education/ and I urge you to check them out when you have a moment. Their education outreach program is nothing short of heroic and they are making a difference in their community.

All teachers, public or private, can recall the moments when they influenced students. Students who were at risk due to reasons economic, social, or emotional disposition. When I am asked about my "successes" I will mention Ian and others like him, but I am often thinking of the students that slip under the radar. The "slow learner" who can finally excel, or the autistic child who finds acceptance, or the young teen who finds the weight of middle school to be crushing and finds respite in the arts.

Classical guitar is such a gentle sound that it becomes a balm for the soul. Chicken soup for a bad day. Music is a healing force, but classical guitar also soothes. Introducing it to my students has, over time, become something of a mission for me. I think of its influence as a very small part of most lives, but sometimes a little nudge is all it takes to make a lasting impression. I wish I could say that this was my plan from the beginning, but the truth is I stumbled into it and got lucky.

I'm always flattered when a former student reconnects. In Ian's case I am reluctant to take much credit for his success, but I'm relieved that I didn't screw up too bad. "First - do no harm" as the hippocratic oath begins. Still, I am proud of Ian and my brief association with him. Not only his musical achievements, but his social conscience and activism. And once again the student influences the teacher.