Social media

I became active on social media several years ago. First with MySpace and then Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.  The consistent message that I heard was how important it was for my business. The thing no one explained to me when I was young was just how much of my time would be needed for marketing. Most people think that my day is consumed with playing the guitar. In fact, I can put in a full days work before I ever pick up my instrument.

I'm not sure if my business has been affected by social media, but being involved has brought me other pleasures. I have the pleasure of "knowing" many other musicians from all over the world. Some are concert artists, some are event performers, and most of them teach. I am impressed with how much we have in common. We post pictures of our food, our families, our students, and the venues we are privileged to perform in.

On Instagram I've become acquainted with many adult students. They often post videos of themselves  playing music at home. It's usually a simple, but very cool sounding study. This is not concert level performing, but in some ways it's almost better. The music is played with such sincerity and respect that I'm reminded of how much I loved learning it many years earlier. I'm also reminded that a great composer can create a lovely piece without the demands of finger busting technique.

I'm also surprised by the number of these students. There's a lot of them. I've seen videos of students in Mexico, Japan, Russia, Germany, Australia, etc. playing many of the same pieces that I would teach them if they studied with me. An easy example of music as the universal language.

As a teacher I am responsible to introduce new music to my students. To show them the possibilities and to give them the means to realize their dreams. The balance in the equation is that they remind me of the beautiful music in my past. Either way, it is the love of the music that brings us together.

Social media has been severely criticized for being a massive waste of time. But when I'm introduced to an entire generation of people from all around the world who love and respect this music as much as I, then I'm inclined to disagree. I regularly look forward to their enthusiasm and optimism to replenish my own.