Guitar thoughts

I was about twenty-one when I first started buying and listening to classical music. I took a couple of classical guitar lessons a year later. Then I was hooked. I've been in love with the music since.

As I've gotten older (lots older) I've come to appreciate the beauty of the instrument and its complexity despite its seemingly deceptive design. It's just a wooden box with six strings stretched across it. I don't plug it in and there are no devices attached to it to alter the sound. It's just my fingers and the guitar.  Perhaps the easiest instrument in the world to learn how to play badly and one of the most difficult to master.

I'm uncomfortable when someone praises my playing because deep down I know that I would have to live another lifetime or two to actually deserve the compliment. That's not humility speaking (I have a significantly inflated ego), but an acknowledgement of fact.

People will sometimes refer to it as a "Spanish" guitar because of its association with the music and culture of Spain. Although I enjoy some of the Spanish repertoire, it's not my favorite and I've only ever played a few of the pieces. There is a vast array of music available to todays artist and I tend to be drawn toward other styles.

With age my musical tastes have changed and broadened. I play a lot more pop music now than ever before. I felt a little odd about that until a friend reminded me that it's all music. No labels, no compartments, no segregating of styles. If I like the song, I play it. A couple of years ago I began changing my self-description from "Classical Guitarist" to "Guitarist".

These thoughts have been rattling around in my brain for the last few days because Feb. 21 marked the 114th birthday of Andres Segovia, one of the founding fathers of modern classical guitar. Although I never met the Maestro I know several people who have and they've shared some very interesting stories.  I was influenced by his playing, though, via recordings and, most recently, videos available online.

He was not the only classical guitarist of the 20th century, but he may as well have been. His forceful personality, backed up by his prodigious technique and astonishing artistry, propelled the guitar from the informal world of folk music to the great concert stages of the world. All during two world wars and a civil war in his homeland. Not a bad legacy. Happy Birthday Maestro. May you rest forever in peace.

If you would like to see and hear him just click here:  https://youtu.be/lCeebWgjrrU