Olympic ceremonies

Like many, I watched much of the Olympics on TV the last two weeks. The athletes were heroic and I found myself becoming interested in sports that I knew nothing about.

However, I am not athletic in any way, as evidenced by a recent fall in my garage while taking out the trash. I don't understand the nuances and I'm not familiar with the athletes or others associated with the sports.  While watching an ice skater leap and spin in the air I expressed my astonishment at how wonderful she was only to hear the TV commentator  rattle off a laundry list of things that she did wrong.

I'm a musician. I compose, arrange, teach, and perform. I understand the pressure of putting it all on the line in front of a room full of people.  I convey, or try to convey, that empathy to my students as they prepare for recital. Arranging or composing music is an exercise in creating something from nothing. The things I have done in my career have been pretty small.

But the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics were stunning on a grand scale. The people who were responsible did an outstanding job of showcasing Korea. I was struck by how unified the programs were. They flowed from one moment to the next with cohesion. The flow was graceful and natural.  It's really hard to make something seem that effortless.

I was also impressed by their use of technology. I love technology if it helps me do my job. But I don't use it just because it's cool. There needs to be a purpose.  In these ceremonies, there was an artistic vision that was realized by technology. Repeatedly, my first response was "Wow" followed later by "I wonder how they did that".  It's a great way to present their technology to the world. I'm sure we will see more of it soon. (Drone art anyone?)

I would be remiss if I neglected K-pop. This music has been slow to catch on in the US, but it's here. I've had many students tell me that it's one of their favorites. It's not what you can play on solo guitar so they don't ask to learn it, but they do love to listen and dance to it.  Honestly I wasn't that interested until I watched it during the ceremonies. Make no mistake - I still feel like the geezer I am. But I have an appreciation and respect for this music.

These ceremonies were Olympics worthy on every level. I applaud the creators, technicians, and everyone else involved.