Anniversary

In late February or early March of 1968 I was asked to teach someone how to play guitar.  I didn't think much of it at the time but I've thought about it quite a bit recently. That was 50 years ago...a half of a century. And it never occurred to me that I was actually taking the first steps of my career.

I won't bore you with the autobiographical tales of the journey. We've all got stories to tell and mine really isn't any more interesting or important than yours.  And while I ponder the highs and lows of it, I'm still looking forward. That's the part that gets to me. I still spend more time thinking of the future than the past. Scheming to help my students and to be better at this tomorrow than I ever have been. Oh I flirt with the notion of retirement, but the simple fact is that I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I did. Honestly I would feel like I was quitting before the job was done.

I have mentioned numerous times that I enjoy using technology to help my students. I also use it to give online lessons to people who live a long way away. I'm always a bit taken aback when people half my age are reluctant to try it. The same people that get cranky with their grandparents for not being internet savvy, are reluctant to do online lessons because they don't understand how it all works.  Yes the internet gremlins get feisty sometimes and it just doesn't work. But fortunately that doesn't happen often and I have to remind myself that this stuff is still in its infancy.  It wasn't possible at all just a few years ago.

In the last fifty years I've seen the popularity of the electric guitar rise and fall. I've seen the popularity of college guitar programs also rise and fall. Fewer students want to perform and fewer still want to try to go pro.  For some it's a way to be social, for others it's  a quiet hobby that they feel little need to share with others. It's a constant blessing to be able to help them.

I've taught people from all kinds of backgrounds. Rich and poor, young and old, many races and cultures, disabled and able bodied. They all have one thing in common. The desire to play beautiful music beautifully. This is a simple profession that does not bring wealth, fame, or power. I have enjoyed, however  hugs of affection, smiles of appreciation, and tears of joy.  That's a pretty good trade.  And a half century slips by in the blink of an eye.