Trying to explain...

G.E. Smith, the former Saturday Night Live music director and sideman to so many famous acts, was asked in an interview, "What advice would you give to someone just starting out?" His response was immediate and definitive, "Don't do it!"

I was chatting with a friend about my student who wanted to switch to electric guitar and perhaps become a professional musician. His response was, "Introduce me. I can talk him out of it in 15 minutes!"

A few days ago I received a phone call from a high school student who was doing some kind of project and asked if I could come to her school to talk about being a professional musician. I had to decline for several reasons. Also, I was in my car pulling into a medical facility for some tests. I tried to be polite about it but I may have been a little short.  I wish the call had come at a better time. I may have tried to work it out.

I don't know what I would say to a classroom full of teens about my business. I don't believe I would be nearly as negative as the others. But this is not a job for the faint of heart. The hours can be long and irregular.  The pay can be short and irregular. It's the nature of it. There's more to be negative about than most folks realize. When I have a student tell me now that they would like to major in guitar at college I make them convince me. I once told a young colleague that if he wasn't obsessed with being a professional musician then it was a hobby.

But if I stop and think for a mere moment I can find much more to like about it than dislike. I regularly have more fun at my job than most will ever have at theirs. I've had moments onstage where it all came together and I thought to myself while playing, "There is no place in the world I would rather be right now."  The other times, when things fell apart in front of everyone, were embarrassing at the time but have since become funny stories.

I've been fortunate to be able to work quite a bit and continue to do so. Occasionally I feel a bit worn out and declare that I'm going to slow down and enjoy life. But then more gigs come in and I greedily take them. This cycle has been going on for a while now and it really annoys my wife. It should be noted that my wife has advised against my retiring. She understands that music is not just what I do, but it's who I am. It's not just an occupation but a lifestyle also.

I think I would try to explain to the students that music isn't as glamorous as most people think. It is simultaneously better and worse. And, after all these years, I'm still obsessed.