Jonathan

Jonathan started lessons with me a few months ago. His goal was to play acoustic covers of pop music. He was able to play a few chords but couldn't read music. So we began the slow, arduous process of learning to read, with the promise that we would get to the other stuff as soon as possible.

Some weeks ago, as we were preparing for our Spring Recital, I asked Jonathan what he would like to perform. He mentioned the title of a pop tune that I was not familiar with. "Go ahead and play it for me", I said. He proceeded to play a very complex arrangement of the song. Although it was impressive, it was not complete. So I said "No". He was really disappointed but it's not in his nature to argue with an authority figure so he didn't say anything. He didn't have the sheet music with him but a moment later he was able to recall the rest from memory and played a complete song for me. At least I think he did. I don't know the song so he may have simply faked it. I would never know.

As we sat there I remembered my own motto: "Our goal is to play beautiful music beautifully." He had certainly done that. Everything else we do, scales, arpeggios, theory studies, exercises, etc. are all done with that goal in mind. So exactly when did the process become more important that the outcome?

I tried to put myself in his place. Honestly I would have been outraged. So I softened my body language (it's amazing how formal I can get during these times) and gave my permission. He gave the biggest grin I'd seen in a long time and thanked me.

At the recital he was a hit. He played better than all but a few of the kids. He played from memory without using sheet music, and the song he played was a pop tune not classical. This was his first recital so all of the kids wanted to know who he was.

I explained that he had previous experience and that I believed that he had learned the song from TABs, a numerical/pictorial replacement for standard notation. As it turned out that was a false assumption on my part. He just watched a couple of Youtube videos and figured it out on his own.

With most of my students I'm a combination of Drill Sergeant, Coach, and Grandpa. I yell, cajole, threaten, compliment, and over-explain just to keep them motivated and moving in the right direction. But with Jonathan and a couple others, I need to guide them a bit and then get out of the way. I have to be careful not to choke off their enthusiasm. I show them a little trick here and there, and sneak the technical stuff in when they're not expecting it.

Jonathan is only thirteen years old and definitely "punching above his weight". I wasn't able to play like this until I was an adult. He has a great ear for music and a great work ethic. If I don't screw this up, he could be a real musical force within the next few years. Watch this space....