Recent Recital

Wednesday night I held my Spring Recital for my Lansing students. I put on two student recitals per year, one in  April and one in November. This past one featured nineteen kids between the ages of 6 and 17 all trying to conquer their terror and play for a room full of people.

I try to keep these events as relaxed and casual as possible without giving up decorum and dignity. There is no dress code, but the kids are asked to "dress up" a bit if I'm asked. That standard has a different definition in different families. The kids also choose their own song to play from the songs we've learned in the past. I discourage them from performing the hardest song they know but just play a favorite instead.

I don't believe this event should showcase a kids technique, and by extension how wonderful the teacher is. Instead it should ask the students to share their talent. To offer a song that they like as a gift. It's important to make the music the focus of the moment. This is why I allow the students to take their music on stage and never say anything when they hide behind the music stand when they play. Trust me, there is nothing relaxed about performing, but this helps.

As a college instructor I told my students that the second best compliment they could get was some variation of, "Wow! You're a really great guitarist." The best compliment was something like, "Wow! What a great song." That means that your technique is so good that it becomes invisible and only the music remains.

At any rate, the kids all played very well. They absolutely glowed in the pride and affection of their parents. And I received more than my fair share of compliments too.

One compliment came from a colleague who commented on how well behaved and orderly the event was. A bit more than 80 players and their families stuffed into a small auditorium and there was only friendliness and respect as everyone seemed to be on their best behavior.

Another compliment came from a parent who said that my recitals were always "classy". That everyone was polite and considerate. The kids all showed a lot of poise and good manners on stage. I'm a bit of a nag when it comes to good manners on stage. I believe good manners lead to the poise that folks tend to mention. Manners also enhance the experience for the audience, much like fine china can make a hamburger taste better.

Once again, the students played great and I am reminded of how lucky I have been all of these years. If you would like to see these kids in action you can watch the video at: https://www.facebook.com/RogerHumphreyClassicalGuitar/