Graduation

I have two granddaughters who have graduated high school this year and will head to college in the fall. Of course I'm very proud of them and I'm also in shock that I'm old enough to be able to make that announcement.

Graduations happen every year at this time, so it's no surprise that I find myself in this situation. But I also have a student who is graduating and going off to college this fall. This also happens each year. A student who began as a young child has grown before my eyes, become as good a musician as they could and now leaves to go to college.  Of course I'm very proud of them and proud to have known them and their families. But I'm also sad that I will likely never see them again except on social media.

That has helped my separation anxiety. I still get to follow many of them through the internet. It's fun to watch them continue to grow. To finish college and begin their careers, get married, buy a house, etc. It's all a part of life, of course. They have their own paths to follow just as I did at that age. And I take some pleasure in believing that they will have fond memories of me as they go through life.

There are some peculiarities too. I'm currently teaching an eleven year old who has been with me since he was six. He is the youngest of four kids and his father took lessons from me when he was the same age. Whew......second generation!

I also recently received an email from a former college student. Now that he is approaching retirement he wants to know if I will consider teaching his again.  (Retirement?!......really?)

I have begun to feel a bit like everyones "other Grandpa". (Maybe I should have my students call me "Gramps") At first I felt a bit weird about that, but now it seems to fit like an old pair of slippers.

I congratulate every graduating student from pre-school to grad school. You made it and now you move on to the next stage of your life. If you're lucky you will eventually graduate to a place where you are the "other Grandpa or Grandma". All-in-all it's a pretty good place to be.