Coming attractions

So summer is slipping away and autumn is just around the corner. With it comes cooler temps, changing colors in the trees, and pumpkin spice everything from coffee to lip balm. I can tolerate the pumpkin spice, I love the colors, but the relief I find in the cooler temperatures is balanced by the knowledge that "cooler" will soon be replaced with "cold". We will go from days that are brisk to days so cold they are only fit for "well diggers" and "brass monkeys".  We can only hope that it will get even colder so that Hell will freeze over and the politicians will begin to be nice to each other. Or anything else that only happens during that auspicious occasion.

With each passing year I find that driving during bad weather or on slippery roads is less inviting. My driving skills aren't what they used to be and they were never that great to begin with. Even worse are the skills of many of my fellow drivers. Some of these people should have their cars impounded until spring.

On the bright side, we will soon be coming into the holiday season. It is over-commercialized I know, and it can get dreadfully hokey at times. But I still look forward to it. Food, family, and a desire to be nice to everyone.

Also the concert season begins. There are always a variety of things to choose from. Some are touring musicians or plays with national or even international acclaim. Others are home grown that feature friends and neighbors. These events beg and deserve your support.

Art galleries begin their seasonal offerings as well. You may not know it but there are some wonderful artists living among you. Local art galleries are a great source of gift ideas. And instead of sending your money to some little factory in Indonesia, you can support a local business.

This isn't just an invitation or challenge from me. It's also a reminder to myself to be more involved. Some years it seems that bacteria is the only culture I get exposed to. I cannot complain if there is a poor turnout to one of my events if I'm not willing to drag myself away from the TV long enough to enjoy what my town has to offer.

Some venues have begun publishing their coming attractions. Check 'em out and start planning to attend a few things. With any luck I'll see you there. I'll be easy to recognize. I'll be the cranky old goat complaining about the cold, the lousy roads, and the other people on them. Be sure to say "Hi".